FAI Check Writing:
In general, payments less than $5,000 from foundation accounts can and should be processed through the University’s established processes and systems (i.e. through Accounts Payable or the Payroll Office). In order for FAI to process manual checks less than $5,000 documentation will be required from the University Accounts Payable Office or Payroll Office, as applicable, indicating that they are not able to process the check request. Additionally, travel reimbursement requests should always go through University Accounts Payable.
The “manual checks” are prepared on a weekly basis for signature by the Assistant Treasurer or Treasurer of the foundation. Fully and correctly completed requests for manual checks must be received in the FAI office by Tuesday at 4 p.m. each week in order to be processed, signed and ready for release each Friday.
A form has been developed for this purpose. Click here for the Manual Check Request form [MS Excel].
Please note that incomplete check requests will be returned with missing/corrected items noted and revised requests received after the deadline will be processed the following week.
The following are required for each check request:
- The request is for an approved expenditure.
- The disbursement is consistent with the purpose of the fund.
- The person requesting the check is authorized to expend funds from the source account.
- Adequate funds must be available in the source account to cover the amount of the manual check.
- Appropriate documentation for the request has been provided, as follows:
- Supporting documentation and memos requesting manual checks must be originals not copies.
- Invoices provided must be billed to the foundation from which funds will be disbursed. Invoices charged to the unversity or a university department are not appropriate for payment by a foundation.
- Goods or services must be received before payment is made.
- The requesting unit must provide 6-digit project number and 5-digit account number (Chart of Accounts).